Tormented by visions of a frozen deserted lake, student Dennis (21) moves back in with his controlling mother. Due to an aggressive episode, Dennis is no longer allowed to see his highly pregnant ex- girlfriend. When the birth of their child is approaching he is struck with feelings of guilt towards the death of his Nigerian father sixteen years ago. For Dennis a voodoo spell seems to be the only way to unburden himself and his loved ones.
In Dwight Fagbamila's debut-film FEMI we meet young Dennis who just when the world is opening up to him is confronted with approaching fatherhood. In a cinematic journey we explore complex theme's such as parenthood, guilt, suppressed racism, alienation and identity.
This film is supported by The Netherlands Film Fund and Brabant C.
- Length: 90' min
- Release: September 2022
- Genre: drama / magic realism
- Yannick Jozefzoon
- Joy Verberk
- Janneke Remmers
- Victor Ijdens
- Claude Musungayi
- Michiel Blankwaardt
- Director: Dwight Fagbamila
- Screenwriter: Dwight Fagbamila & Kim Kokosky Deforchau
- D.O.P.: Aziz Al-Dilaimi
- Production Design Robert van der Hoop
- First A.D.: Ina van Beek
- Production Manager: Mireille Rooijendijk | Eva van Dorland
- Sound Design: Hein Verhoeven & Bouk Bouwmeester
- Editor: Emiel Nuninga
- Composer: Kaveh Vares
- Producers: Maarten van der Ven l Layla Meijman