Tormented by visions of a frozen deserted lake, student Dennis (21) moves back in with his controlling mother. Due to an aggressive episode, Dennis is no longer allowed to see his highly pregnant ex- girlfriend. When the birth of their child is approaching he is struck with feelings of guilt towards the death of his Nigerian father sixteen years ago. For Dennis a voodoo spell seems to be the only way to unburden himself and his loved ones.
In Dwight Fagbamila's debut-film FEMI we meet young Dennis who just when the world is opening up to him is confronted with approaching fatherhood. In a cinematic journey we explore complex theme's such as parenthood, guilt, suppressed racism, alienation and identity.
FEMI had it's world premiere at Warsaw International Film Festival and Yannick Jozefzoon was nominated at the Dutch Academy Awards for Best Actor.
This film is supported by The Netherlands Film Fund and Brabant C.
- Length: 90' min
- Release: September 2022
- Genre: drama / magic realism
- Yannick Jozefzoon
- Joy Verberk
- Janneke Remmers
- Victor Ijdens
- Claude Musungayi
- Michiel Blankwaardt
- Director: Dwight Fagbamila
- Screenwriter: Dwight Fagbamila & Kim Kokosky Deforchau
- D.O.P.: Aziz Al-Dilaimi
- Production Design Robert van der Hoop
- First A.D.: Ina van Beek
- Production Manager: Mireille Rooijendijk | Eva van Dorland
- Sound Design: Hein Verhoeven & Bouk Bouwmeester
- Editor: Emiel Nuninga
- Composer: Kaveh Vares
- Producers: Maarten van der Ven l Layla Meijman